8.20.2008

Why I'm Loving Korea...

I landed in Seoul at 6:00 pm Sunday night. I had been traveling for 18 or 19 hours at that point. The taxi ride is mostly a blur. I remember lots of tall buildings and a big river (and paying a lot for the taxi, but that is another story). The first thing that made me feel like I was in a foreign country was my hotel's toilet.


There's a bidet! I'm not exactly sure why/how people use these, but I have seen them on many toilets now. I guess Americans are just dirtier people?
Monday morning I went to CDI orientation. I was waiting in the lobby of my hotel for the shuttle and who should appear? Another SNU grad. So random! I'm still amazed that out of all the English schools in Korea and all the other weeks of CDI training, we would end up at the same school during the same training. Megan has definitely made me feel more at home. It's so nice to have a familiar face and someone who I can talk to about Oklahoma and she understands me!
Yesterday I started the full training. Megan, her roommate Pam and I have the same training schedule. We don't start until 3 pm and then we go until almost 9. We are still having a hard time finding places to eat, knowing what to order, how much it costs, etc. Pam said she saw Dunkin' Donuts had sandwiches. I was a little curious about what kind of sandwiches they could have, but it was so nice! It all looked very gourmet, even the donuts. They have a store on almost every corner. And judging by the amount of people in each one, I would say they are very trendy. Just look at how pretty it is!


I walked by a huge blanket the other day that was covered in high heels. The lady was selling them for $6! I think I love any country that has cheap, cute shoes. I like the subway even though you get pushed around by a lot of people. Besides being a little stressed about the training, I am really enjoying myself.
Sorry it has taken me so long to write. I am experiencing some major jet-lag and I usually just study, go to class, eat and sleep. Hopefully, things will slow down or at least I'll get used to the time difference. Good luck with Wednesday (I've already started mine)!

5 Comments:

Dalene said...

I'm totally jealous!

liesel said...

I'm so glad you're blogging. Can't wait to follow your adventure.

~ Marty Alan Michelson, Ph.D. said...

Send Megan my love . . . via Keith's attention (when she gets back with him, of course.) What a delight for ya'll!

Mary Beth said...

I am so glad you made it there safe and found some friends to hang with. That is great news.

Unknown said...

Oh, I can't wait to hear more about ... just everything. Have a fun time and don't take life too seriously at this point.