8.29.2008

I accidentally went AWOL.

I was doing laundry the other night and realized I didn't have a drying rack. I asked Kevin (a Korean, CDI staff) where I could buy one. He said he would bring one to my apartment after work.
I was leaving work and met a teacher from a school across the street. She invited me to dinner. We were halfway through the meal when I remembered Kevin was supposed to stop by my apartment. I was going to call him, but I left my cell phone at home. Roxie didn't have a phone (and even if she had, I didn't know Kevin's number). I assumed he would just leave the drying rack outside the door. I thought wrong.
Kevin waited for an hour until finally calling Sonia, our boss. She came over to my apartment. They both kept trying to call me. They called every teacher at the school. No one knew where I was. They almost called the police. They broke into my apartment to make sure I wasn't dead inside. When I finally made it home I found a frantic note saying to call Sonia immediately.
I got a long lecture on carrying my cell phone or telling someone where I am at all times. She made me attach a Mickey Mouse wrist strap to my phone. I guess Mickey is supposed to help me remember it now.
You would think I would be used to this because of all the Peace Corps volunteers that disappear, but no. I could go weeks at a time without talking to PC and no one worried. I guess it is nice to know people care about me here!

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

AWOL? I guess I always thought you were operating in world of your own.. Those of us here in Bartlesville can sleep now knowing you have caregivers to constantly watch over you.