10.05.2008

3 Churches, 1 Jesus

Last Sunday, I went to church with my friend Roxie. We went to the church that shall remain nameless. It is an English-speaking church that claims to be non-denominational. It's not. I am going to be nice and not say the denomination they are tied to, but I will say that I most likely will not be going back.
They were having a revival Sunday. At one point the pastor stared me down, and said that some people in the room had "hardened their hearts to God." I don't think holding back laughter was the response he was looking for. I think my favorite was when he compared the devil to computer virus protection software...what?

This Friday, Roxie and I went to the army base for a chapel service. She heard through a friend about this "modern church service for young singles." I told Roxie I had sworn off the church singles group at the age of six. She was a little hesitant also, but we decided it would be a good chance to meet people.
We had a really hard time getting signed onto base. The chaplain was supposed to let us on, but he didn't answer his phone. We finally got on (late) and walked into a room full of young families. I think we were the only two without children. They were eating an American dinner though, so I can't complain too much.
We met some nice ladies who have a Bible study. We may try that, but we can't go to the Friday service anymore because of work. (This Friday was a holiday; I worked in the morning instead of evening.) I am not too upset to miss out...except for the food.

Today, I went with my friend Swan and her dad to a Korean church. She is a Korean-American from Florida. We were roommates in training. She actually lives in Busan, which is about an hour south of Daegu. Her dad is here checking on their vacation house. They drive up on Sundays to attend church.
I was the only white person. I think I have spent too much time abroad because that felt more normal than being at the English church. The church broadcasts online in Korean, Japanese, Chinese and English. I sat with the English translator, Jason, in the sound booth. He was very nice, but it was a little difficult to follow the sermon. I was also distracted by the man getting acupuncture in the room right in front of us. I think my favorite part about the church is that the pastor sits at a desk in a high back chair. It reminds me of parliament or something.
After the sermon, they open the mics for testimony, announcements, singing, etc. Swan's dad wanted me to go up and introduce myself. I told him I didn't like to talk in front of crowds. Then Jason went up and did it for me. I didn't even see him go up there and then I heard "Oklahoma." I knew that couldn't be normal. Swan said, "He's telling you to stand up now." I looked up and the entire church was waiting for me to stand up. Then everyone came to welcome me; they were so sweet. Some women even gave me their babies to play with! They made me go outside and take pictures with some people. (Hopefully, I'll get copies and post them later.)
After the service, Swan and I went with some of her friends to a traditional Korean restaurant. It was all really good, except for the cold noodle soup. Apparently, I can't do cold soup. Sorry, Korea. Overall, it was a great day and I'm sure I'll go back because the people were so nice...even if I don't know what they are saying.

7 Comments:

Marlita said...

At least you are going to church! You could get acupuncture while listening to the sermon, kill two birds with one stone.

Dalene said...

The Korean church sounds delightful, and it seems like the relationships you gained were certainly not lost in translation.

liesel said...

You're experiencing things that some of us old folks would have had the chance to. I'm proud of you!

Anonymous said...

What tramatic happening in your life made you swear off singles groups by age 6?

Glad you are going to church

Mom

little dalene said...

The people in our singles group scared me.

Wendell Rovenstine said...

Hey be careful about letting that chaplain on the base getting you on base. God forbid you meet a service man that will want you to travel the world with him. You may too much of a home body for those world travelers. You are going to find the church that is just right for you I can tell.

Anonymous said...

The people that I know that go to singles groups are scary--especially, for a pretty girl like you. They might even want a date!

I, too, am glad that you are going to church. Isn't it sweet that they wanted you to hold their babies. What a complement.

Love, Granma D.