9.04.2008

"Teacher, you have a long leg."

I really hope she meant to say, "Teacher, you have long legs."

My kids are so cute...most of them. I teach seven classes; three of them are twice a week and the other four only come once a week. I am not sure my total amount of students, but I know it is a lot. And a lot of names to remember! Almost every class has a Luke, June (always a boy), Kate and Susan. The American names they choose crack me up. One girl wants to be called James. My first elementary class I called a boy Billy. He said, "It's Billy BOB!" Apparently, he wants to be from the South. I even have a Jude--just like my cousin.

I am getting pretty good at understanding Konglish. I think some kids actually have a hard time, while others are just being lazy. For example, they say "yes-u" instead of "yes." It is hard to tell who is just being lazy though. I have one elementary student who is smart, but so lazy when he speaks. I have the hardest time understanding him. I always tell him to speak clearly and then he screams, "TEACHER." He gets mad that I can't understand him. Sometimes I say what I think he said. Usually it is very, very wrong because the entire class can't stop laughing. I am glad someone thinks I am funny though. I try to tell jokes to my older kids and they just stare at me. They make me feel old!

2 Comments:

Dalene said...

Oh Dalene it sounds like you are having a great time!!! You're such a gal!!

~ Marty Alan Michelson, Ph.D. said...

your work with students . . . sounds like an average day in the classroom for me here in the States!