7.27.2008

Yum in a bowl...and on a cooling rack.

When my mom and I started the South Beach (almost two months ago!), I became addicted to food blogs. I'm not sure why I still read them regularly, but I think it is kind of the "want what you can't have" concept. While my photography and cooking will never be good enough to have my own food blog, I had to share these two things with you.
I saw a recipe on one of my favorites--Sugarlaws--for Sour Cherry Frozen Yogurt. I don't know about sour cherries (I don't even think I've had one), but I did want to try the recipe. It seemed very healthy and phase 2 friendly. I found the greek yogurt at Albertson's (Food Pyramid...whatever) so then I got really excited. I had to pull out the old, LOUD ice cream machine. It was a lot of work, but definitely worth it. My modifications accidentally turned the recipe into something really good! Behold my Strawberry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt...


Recipe:
•1 cup chopped strawberries

•1 1/4 cup lowfat greek yogurt

• 1 1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt

•2 tablespoons vanilla

•1/4 cup honey

Mix all ingredients together. Follow your ice cream maker's instructions. Freeze and enjoy!


Just today I attempted the South Beach chocolate chip cookies. The recipe calls for substitutions to the traditional recipe such as wheat flour, Splenda (or Sweet 'n Low if your mom is allergic to Splenda), Smart Balance butter and the secret ingredient--fat free, sugar free vanilla pudding mix. I made some bread the other day that turned out horrendous. I was a little nervous because the recipes seemed similar, but the cookies turned out really well. Jonnie even said they were good! I am still working on modifying the recipe to make it AMAZING, but I'll let you have it when it's perfected. Here's what they looked like for now...

As I was making the cookies Jonnie said to me, "If you keep dieting you are going to turn into nothing but skin and bones!" I said, "Why do I look skinnier?" He said, "Well...you could use some liposuction in your stomach." I said, "Thanks Jonnie." That is what happens when your "diet" foods taste TOO good!

2 Comments:

Dalene said...

I'm totally loving the food section of this blog.

I think you should write a cookbook for young hip twenty-somethings w/ lots of cool graphics and funny pics of you working in the kitchen.

I'm totally not kidding about that!I think it would go over really well. You're just not allowed to call yourself "Little Dalene" in the book, unless I get some props and am included in a section, too.

Hey I have an even better idea...we could do it together and call it "Dalene Cooks Twice the Love" or something like that...

Then, you can totally be little Dalene, and I'll be big Dalene. I'll convert all your recipes to make them "middle-aged" friendly. There is brilliance at work here.

EHH????

You can think about that one overseas.

Marlita said...

It looks good!
Love, Evi