2.13.2009

Oh my goodness! He's dead!

Not really. I just had a moment of overreaction and that's what went through my head today.

We were just finishing up our five minute break. I started teaching when the whole room (of 8-9 year olds) started saying, "Teacher, Bin is still sleeping." I didn't even realize Bin had fallen asleep during the break. I just yelled his name a couple of times and he didn't move. I thought he was joking around because he has never fallen asleep in class before. The kids around him started poking him with pens and pencils. Still no movement.

I was a little concerned as I walked over, but I still thought he was probably joking. I shook his shoulders a little bit and still nothing. I looked down at his eyes and they weren't moving at all, so I knew he couldn't be faking it. I shook him harder and harder, but nothing would wake him up. I checked his pulse and made sure he was breathing. He was okay, but I was still really freaked out.

Looking back I realize this was a little dramatic (I've been in Korea too long), but I ran to the front desk and told the Korean staff I had a child that wouldn't wake up. One of the desk teachers came in and shook him even harder than I did. He STILL didn't wake up. So finally she pushed his shoulders off the desk so he was sitting up. She shook him while he was sitting up. He finally woke up. He was like someone waking up from a coma for a little while. He asked, "Did we already have break?" I think he'll be okay. He says his mom always has to wake him up like that.

I had NO IDEA a child could fall asleep that quickly and sleep that deeply. I hope I never have a child that sleeps like that because it would not be good for my heart!

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the poor kid is exhausted. Maybe his mom should let him sleep and not go to English class.

Mom

Dalene said...

Sounds like Narcolepsy.

Anonymous said...

I'd give anything to be able to *put* my children into that kind of narcoleptic sleep so that I could then do the same! =)~ marty m.