5.25.2009

I'm no good at secrets.

And this one I have to keep from the Korean press. Don't tell!

This week my unnamed academy was supposed to get two new teachers. They were going to arrive on Friday, but they never showed. Last night they seemed to be scrambling for teachers all over my company's unnamed academy (not just in Daegu). Today I showed up and was told there was an "emergency." All of the Korean staff were on the phones. No one would tell us anything though. Then, I got a text message from Jennifer asking if our classes has been canceled also.
Today is supposed to be the first day of the summer term. We had a meeting at 2:45 to discuss the new term policies. Instead, we discussed swine flu. Apparently, one of the new CDI trainees--from Canada, not US--started showing symptoms of the swine flu while in training. She was taken to the hospital and diagnosed with it. All 68 people in training with her were quarantined. It has been in the news that a CDI teacher brought the swine flu to Korea. So to show our "solidarity and safety to the students" all CDIs are canceled for EIGHT days. I get an EIGHT day vacation. I never even get a two day weekend!
We are not sure what we are going to do with the days yet, but I am so excited!

4 Comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you don't get sick!!!!!!!! Do you get paid for 8 days?

Mom

Anonymous said...

was your job threatened if you get caught out & about socializing/using public trans?

Mary Beth said...

Enjoy your time off. I hope no one else gets it. Be careful.

little dalene said...

Anonymous--
Kind of. We aren't allowed to go anywhere outside of the city or there could be "firings and law suits." But today they told us traveling on a bus somewhere would be okay.